Monday, September 24, 2007

Orphanage Idear

Okayyyy.. so after feeling a little bit distressed, bummed, and at a loss to being able to help enough, I laid in bed one morning racking my brain for better ways to help. As throughout my life experiences and learning, as well as influence from my dad and Uncle Greg's wide perspective and experience, I've realized there are greater ways of helping more people on a grander scale sometimes than just using your own two hands. But I also accept that sometimes we need to just get down and dirty with our own two hands too. Right time and place for everything. I realized early on in this endeavor that my two hands and little wallet was really just not going to be enough to make a difference. After racking my brain, I came up with this really weird idea... that probably won't work.. but it doesnt hurt to dream, and ya never know what happens from there,, newer better ideas, etc. The concept is to create a larger impact... how could I get more people to understand and help too, as there are sooo many NGO's, help-centers, etc asking for money... and how many of them can we actually contribute too. Afterall I've only ever dontated to MADD (mother's against drunk drivers), fire/police calls when I can, Greg's house rebuilding project in Pakistan, Tsunami 2004, and maybe just a few other... but I can't save the world with just those contributions. I know the american public is hassled every day for money, and its not necessarily the most efficient route. There was a study about monkeys, where one monkey in a cage was electricuted everytime another monkey in an adjacent cage was given food. Eventually the adjacent monkey starved itself to death. The idea was that they cared empathetically, and that human nature reflects this as well. As I told this study to my bf one day... he made the comment that maybe that was only because they could see each other and indirectly feel the pain then.. but for most of the world this kind of analogical pain is "out of sight out of mind." I think this is really true, as it is soooo much harder to eat a full meal literally in front of a starving begger. While a picture with a donation card is easier to throw away. Also, we learn by experiences and by doing, by being here/there too. This made led me to think of ways to get people here/there (there being anywhere of need, namely in this example for sake of ease: Cambodia).
Now that I have over-elaborated on my train of thought... I don't have time to get to the point... very typical of me =) ... next blog standing by =)

No comments: