Thursday, September 13, 2007

A more successful day!

Got up early to go to the orphanage again.. although not as early as I would have liked after having had a tick bite me in the back.... made for a somewhat restless night =)

This time we had something to show upon arrival... no food or money as they would prefer at times.. but a flier! Lucy and I spent a decent amount of time on trying to get it right. And we wanted them to check it and add a few cambodian peices before copying and distributing. They were pretty excited about it, as were we. I figured it would be a much better use of our time trying to promote this place that barely exists even in the eyes of the local cambodians, let alone not even on a map. This way long after our visits, more people can come. And as I explained to the director, even though we may not have a lot of money to give, the ones that follow may! At this stage in our lives, Lucy and I have more to offer from our heart/brain than our wallet. He was very happy and surprisingly understanding/appreciative!

We set off after lunch. Spent the whole day posting fliers and promoting. It was exciting, but at the same time much more tiresome than I think either of us expected. We had to take little AC/pastry breaks every so often to keep our energies up. We worked 'til night-fall... at which point we amazingly reaped some rewards right away! People had already started recogmizing us from the posters and were coming up to ask us about it! It was soooooooo perfrectly great! And more than I could have hoped for. Many people were actually very interested and were so happy to have someone readily deliver all the info to them. I as more than excited to help them along!

Tomorrow is our last day... and will be a little more of the same. However, I plan to dive in and become a little more interactive with my fellow foreign travelers instead of passively hopeing they see a flyer. I also plan on engaging a few of the local grocery marts to donate their leftover foods from the end of the day. I'm not sure how fruitful this may be, but its worth a final shot.

No comments: