Saturday, September 8, 2007

The only reason to come to this scary place....




Sept 6- Ankor Wat! Wow

This place is incredible… as it is pretty much the stand alone reason why Cambodia is even on the tourist map.. And you pay the tourist prices to see it- yikes! As per lonely planet, seeing this in one day is a crime—so we opted for the 3day pass. Yes, you need a week to barely see most of it… but at the same time after only three’ish (haflish overheated/overexhausted) days, Lucy and I are both temple’d out! Big time.
I don’t really know how to describe it other than just incredible landscapes of ruins of what were once considered the most amazing temples of the world.

Sept 7-
Lucy had this great idea to bicycle around. So we rented bikes for a wopping 1.50usd for the day.. and had an incredible bike ride. I was loving her idea until I fell ill… really ill from the worst form of heat exhaustion I;ve ever had… I didn’t even know if I was going to make it back in one piece. I guess I didn’t really know what heat exhaustion was. Now I really do. Somehow its possible to get wayyy hotter than Thailand. And we were just not used to it. Thankfully a little rest, some AC, and my daily 6$ massage and hour later… I was sorta back on my feet. Just enough to go back for another massage… ha ha ha…Lucy says I’m excessive. Today maybe only. But I’ve found something I love so much and it costs so little that it would be a shame to not take advantage of such a good thing. Everyone has their little spluges.. this ones mine. Fortunately I had the opportunity to visit “Seeing Hands” a massage parlor that consists of only the skilled blind. It’s a great way to give to a huge community here in need, AND a great massage as its such a refined sense for them.

Sept 8-
The day we truly became temple’d out! We actually got our butts up at 4:30am… whew to do the mother of all temples at sunrise. It was worth it for sure… but it definitely made for only a half day. We were home and pooped out by the time for an early lunch at the ONLY seemingly real AC café in town.


To say that this was the only reason to come to this scary place isn't all that entirely true. As there is a serious serious history to be learned here, in so many ways, for past present and future. It's come a long a way, but it still has a longgg way to go.


Up Next: Another 5hr bus ride from hell the to capitol: Pnom Phen. With 3 days, just enough time to get our Vietnam visas and see where all the craziness went down. Cambodia has already significantly changed me for life, and I have a strong feeling this next stop will more so in ways I'll wish I could forget.

No comments: